March 8-9, 2018
About Greek Retreat
Greek Retreat is a two-day, hands-on conference that provides annual fund and communication professionals the opportunity to learn, collaborate, become inspired, and explore new solutions to shared business problems.
- Foundation professionals and key volunteers who manage and implement all aspects of an annual fund program: fundraising, stewardship, engagement, and communications.
- NICF Alliance Partners are encouraged to attend and engage in the interactive learning alongside the foundation professionals.
- At this first-rate learning experience, attendees will learn and share practical annual fund strategies in a small-group setting.
- Through sessions, roundtables and panel discussions, participants will learn proven tactics from peers and experts.
- Programming is focused on recommendations from the NICF-Cygnus Survey with sessions touching upon fundraising, stewardship, alumni engagement and communications.
- Participate in the Direct Mail Critique program for expert feedback on your campaign.
2017 Greek Retreat Schedule
Welcome & Lunch
11:15 a.m. to Noon
Noon to 12:15 p.m.
Panel: Coordinating Fundraising Between Chapters and the Foundation
Featuring staff from Delta Gamma, Phi Kappa Psi, Sigma Kappa and Sigma Chi
12:15 to 1:30 p.m.
1:30 to 1:45 p.m.
Panel: Improving Donor Acquisition and Retention
Alissa Campbell Shaw, Director – Annual Giving, University of Memphis; Clint Cummins, Executive Vice President, Memphis Medical Society; Christy Gilmour, Principal, Christy Gilmour Consulting
1:45 to 3 p.m.
3 to 3:15 p.m.
Program Assessment & Impact Reporting
Gentry McCreary, CEO, Dyad Strategies
3:15 to 4:15 p.m.
Roundtable: Direct Mail Campaigns
4:20 to 5:20 p.m.
Depart for Headquarters Tours
Design for Annual Fund Campaigns (Breakfast Served)
Michele King, Shelle Design
7:30 to 8:15 a.m.
8:15 to 8:30 a.m.
Panel: Maximizing the Effectiveness of Communication Vehicles
Featuring staff from Delta Delta Delta, Delta Gamma, Phi Kappa Tau and Sigma Alpha Epsilon
8:30 to 9:45 a.m.
Relationship Goals: Developing a Future Donor Engagement Strategy
Patrick Tiernan, Theta Delta Chi Foundation; Jennifer Pendleton, CFRE, Vice President – Indiana, Aly Sterling Philanthropy LLC
9:45 to 10:45 a.m.
10:45 to 11 a.m.
Roundtable: Stewardship Best Practices
Allison Rickels, Farmhouse Foundation
11 a.m. to Noon
Job Enrichment: Establishing Your Voice from WIthin
Wilson Wong, CEO, Plaid
Noon to 1 p.m.
The 2017 Greek Retreat program addresses the following NICF-Cygnus Survey recommendations:
- Maximizing the Effectiveness of Communications Vehicles
- Increasing Awareness of Programs and Services
- Improving Donor Acquisition and Retention
- Coordinating Fundraising Between Chapters and the Foundation
- Enhancing the Case for Support
- Delivering Information on Gift Impact
- Improving Program and Staff Management
- Building on Successful Stewardship Practices
Learn more by reviewing the updated NICF Curriculum Plan.
Direct Mail Critiques
Do you want an expert to help guide your direct mail strategy? Then be sure to take advantage of this new Greek Retreat program: Direct Mail Critiques!
Nonprofit fundraising/direct mail experts will provide feedback and recommendations on materials submitted from your direct mail campaign. Simply electronically submit your direct mail package (appeal letter, response device envelope, etc.) along with an overview of the campaign.
You will receive feedback electronically before we gather in Memphis. We will pull themes from across submissions to inform a Greek Retreat educational session that will highlight strengths and opportunities in this critical area of foundation operations.
Submit your direct mail package for review here by Monday, Feb. 13.
DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown
185 Union Avenue, Memphis, TN 38103
Group Rate: $139 per night plus taxes and fees for Single or Double Occupancy
Click here to reserve your room by Feb. 10.
Registration opens in December
- Includes Exhibit Booth
- Open to Staff and Volunteers of NICF Member Foundations
- Includes Exhibit Booth
Greek Retreat will be held in the heart of Downtown Memphis.
Attendees arriving on March 8 can connect with other early arrivals Wednesday evening to explore nearby world famous Beale Street Entertainment District. More information on this optional, informal gathering will be sent with pre-meeting details closer to the event.
Join us for a fun evening activity on Thursday, March 9! Enjoy a progressive reception that will include tours of Chi Omega, Kappa Delta and Pi Kappa Alpha headquarters. Plan to have a late dinner on your own with colleagues after returning to the hotel.