The NIC Foundation’s Awards of Distinction provide the fraternal foundation community an annual opportunity to recognize excellence and innovation by organizations in a particular area. Categories include Best Development Effort in an Annual Campaign, Best Major Gifts Development Effort, Best Planned Giving Effort, Best Communications Effort, Best Use of a Foundation Grant, Best Campaign/Program in Support of an Outside Philanthropy, and Best New Development Idea. Organization award winners will be announced at the 2017 THE Foundations Seminar Awards of Distinction Banquet on Tuesday, August 29.
Did your organization launch an initiative or appeal that you believe was particularly effective? How did your e-mail, direct mail, or non-direct mail effort perform above expectations? Are you particularly proud of a student or alumni development program?
Did your foundation conduct a program or event that succeeded beyond expectations? Did you successfully engage other donors to help in a major gift effort? Did you endow a new program or scholarship through a major gift effort? Has your cumulative giving society performed or grown significantly thanks to a successful initiative?
Has your planned giving society performed or grown due to a successful initiative? Did you engage other donors to help in a planned giving effort?
Were efforts made by your foundation where the number one purpose was to inform rather than to raise money? Did you publish or compile an effective social-media strategy, brochure, e-newsletter, website, annual report, public relations initiative, or re-branding effort?
An effective stewardship program is one of the most important elements of fundraising. How is your organization recognizing donors, ensuring that their donation is having the desired effect, and showing appreciation? Have you put into place a new program? Do you believe your current stewardship efforts are particularly effective?
Submissions in this category should be examples of ways that the donor dollar is going to extraordinary purposes. Does your organization have a scholarship recipient who has taken advantage of foundation dollars to do something extraordinary? Does the fraternity or sorority utilize the grant money for a program that goes above and beyond expectations? Are there additional or unique programs that the foundation supports?
Is your foundation particularly proud of a partnership or program that occurred this last year? Has the foundation benefited from a relationship with an outside philanthropy? How has the relationship with an outside philanthropy supported the mission of the foundation?
What innovative/out-of-the-box idea has your organization developed that has led to new advancement opportunities?
The recognition of the accomplishments and influence of the men and women who have made a difference in interfraternal fundraising is an important responsibility of the NIC Foundation. Awards of Distinction presented to individuals include the William D. Jenkins Outstanding Foundation Professional Award, the Outstanding Philanthropist Award, and the Outstanding Foundation Volunteer Award. Individual award winners will be announced mid-June and will be presented on Tuesday, August 29 during THE Foundations Seminar.
This award is designed for an outstanding fundraising professional of a fraternity or sorority foundation who practices his/her profession in an exemplary manner. Nominations should include:
– Description of career achievements in the Greek world (i.e. length and tenure of fundraising background, experience, results, and involvement in interfraternal activities)
– Evidence of quality leadership that is effective, creative and stimulating, and evidence that the individual acts as team player
– Evidence that the individual acts in accordance with ethical fundraising practices for professionals
– Description of the individual’s commitment to continuing professional development, conference participation, publication, and professional education
– Evidence of commitment to the profession and to philanthropy through volunteer service and financial support to his/her foundation
This award is presented to an individual or family with a proven record of exceptional generosity who, through direct financial support, has demonstrated outstanding fraternal and charitable responsibility, and whose generosity encourages others to take philanthropic leadership roles within the Greek community on a national and/or international level.
– Describe the impact of the individuals giving to the foundation
– Describe how the individual has encouraged/motivated others to take leadership roles in supporting Greek organizations
The individual eligible for this nomination must have demonstrated exceptional leadership skills in major fundraising projects for a fraternity or sorority. Nominations should include specific achievements over the course of the past year or several years and should also include:
– Evidence of quality leadership and organizational ability in fundraising campaigns
– Description of time, effort, and financial commitment
– Description of fundraising goals achieved by his/her effort
– Evidence of success in recruiting and motivating others